TribalScale hosted us for Let’s Make A Deal: Insiders’ perspectives on Salary Negotiations in Tech
Getting hired & negotiating a salary/benefits package
Can you tell a story about how everything you’ve ever done has lead to the interview at this company?
Asking for a raise
- Be ready to sell yourself!
When to talk about raises?
- As soon as your uncomfortable about salary. You might never be comfortable taking about money, so don’t wait.
- You asked for a raise? Experienced manager might be relieved to know what you are thinking. Other managers might be scared too.
Companies on the ball will review salary bands and market salaries once or twice a year and see who’s salaries are an outlier.
- Were you offered a raise? It is OK to say ‘let me think about this is for a few days’ or even come back after agreeing to a raise to re-negotiate
- Whatever the raise talk was, send a follow up email so you have requests for raise in writing
- Stock options in lieu of raise? Know what options are. Know about events that dilute options. A lack of transparency about the value of options is a bad sign
What happens if manager disagrees with your reasoning for a raise?
- Opportunity for manager to make a plan to get you to that raise. It might be a sign the manager has failed to provide feedback earlier.
- When negotiating salaries and benefits, think about what you really want and why
- Communicate like a human
- Carrie Gallant has a negotiations framework
- Don’t wait for people to pick you out. Sell yourself, it will feel great when it works
Check out this Meetup →