These are my long lost notes from the presentation. They are missing lots of context.
Why be social?
- We talk to help
- We talk to craft our identity like Rap Genius founder
- We talk to build relationships over time
- The amount we share is proportional to the value of sharing
- Identity is multifaceted. Different apps and people show different slices of life.
- Audiences inform content. You say different things to different people. A more specific the audience = more filters
Things Facebook notices
- We choose pictures over words
- Lightweight communications like Yo
- Objective based networks like Nike+
- Pick the right medium for what to communicate.
- Augmenting offline experiences like matching blood donor s and AirBnB
- Info about people traveled faster than people
- Get inspired by Urban Planning books. Courtyard and cities are the social network
- Check Munk Debates for an interesting debate between Alexis Ohanian and some dude from the CIA on surveillance
Check out this Meetup →